TaxA tax is a mandatory payment or charge collected by local, state, and national governments from individuals or businesses to cover the costs of general government services, goods, and activities. policy has become one of the major issues of the 2020 presidential election. We’ve created this tool to keep track of every tax plan proposed by the presidential candidates during their campaigns. We will continue to update the tracker as candidates issue more detailed tax plans over the coming weeks.
How do the 2020 tax plans compare? Explore our tracker below to see where the 2020 candidates stand on taxes. You can also compare the candidates with our curated analysis of 2020 tax proposals. See our updated analysis of Biden’s tax plan.
- 4/8/2020: Bernie Sanders drops out.
- 3/19/2020: Tulsi Gabbard drops out.
- 3/18/2020: Bill Weld drops out.
- 3/5/2020: Elizabeth Warren drops out.
- 3/4/2020: Michael Bloomberg drops out.
- 3/2/2020: Amy Klobuchar drops out
- 3/1/2020: Pete Buttigieg drops out.
- 2/29/2020: Tom Steyer drops out
- 2/11/2020: Andrew Yang and Michael Bennet drop out.
- 2/7/2020: Joe Walsh drops out.
- 1/31/2020: John Delaney drops out.
- 1/13/2020: Cory Booker drops out.
- 1/10/2020: Marianne Williamson drops out.
- 1/2/2020: Julián Castro drops out.
- 12/3/2019: Kamala Harris drops out.
- 12/2/2019: Steve Bullock and Joe Sestak drop out.
Note: Candidates are included in the tax tracker based on whether they are running (or were running) for president according to The New York Times’ “Who’s Running for President in 2020?” tool. We include all major tax plans announced by candidates, whether mentioned in a debate, an interview, a policy paper, or anywhere else. Updates will be listed below as they are made.
Explore consolidated Tax Foundation research & analysis of 2020 tax plans below:
About the Tax Foundation
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. With our nonpartisan brand and trusted analysis, the Tax Foundation continues to be the go-to source for tax policy insight and data. Learn more.
Stay informed on the tax policies impacting you.
Subscribe to get insights from our trusted experts delivered straight to your inbox.Subscribe