Join one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation!
Be part of a talented and dynamic team passionate about working with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to improve lives through smarter tax policy.
Center for State Tax Policy
Tax Foundation seeks a VP or Director to lead our state policy team and be our lead spokesperson on state policy issues. The team produces numerous major annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on its research, and works with friends to promote smarter, pro-growth policy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the team; coordinating with other teams, especially our marketing team; setting direction for our state research, outreach, and fundraising; and engaging with policymakers, reporters, and other key audiences. Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are a must. The right candidate must also believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of pushing the tax reform debate toward smarter policies.
Since the VP/Director will spend a significant portion of time on the road, having an outgoing personality (high energy, extroverted) that lends itself to external outreach is critical. Also important will be strong interpersonal/management skills and the experience of effectively communicating up, down, and laterally. And while experience in policy is important, being an expert in tax policy is not necessary. The right candidate will be able to learn on the job.
The VP/Director will report to our President and Executive Vice President and will be located in Washington, D.C.
The VP or Director of State Projects candidate will:
- Provide overall leadership and strategic vision to the organization’s state tax policy efforts, including all state-focused research and education projects. Extensive travel (25%-50% depending on the month/project/etc.).
- Oversee the state policy team’s research agenda, including setting a publications schedule, project timelines, and guidelines. Balance engagement on issues of the day with long-term projects and build networks for future issue engagement. Serve as lead spokesperson on state policy.
- Cultivate relationships with key audiences, including state policymakers and their staff, reporters, allied groups, and interested stakeholders, to make Tax Foundation and its experts the go-to source on tax policy.
- Lead a fund-raising strategy for the state program, in concert with our development team, including coordinating working groups, briefings, and meetings. Manage the departmental budget, and monitor progress toward budgeted revenue goals.
- Lead a marketing strategy for the state program, reaching our key legislative, media, allies, donor, and grasstops audiences, particularly emphasizing readability, timeliness, and market penetration.
- Collaborate with marketing, development, and other teams to ensure cohesion in messages and priorities.
- Supervise and coach the members of the state policy team, playing an active and personal role in constructing a culture that cultivates high performance and high quality.
- Maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues and identify new research opportunities. Ability to navigate and utilize major data sources.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Passion for the Tax Foundation’s mission and principles and ensure Tax Foundation work comports with the credibility of the organization.
- Experience facilitating projects, leading them from conception to completion under time or resource pressure.
- Experience interacting with state or federal policymakers or government officials.
- Success securing financial support for programs or projects.
- Advanced experience or training in economics, public policy, or government.
- The ability to interface well with all departments of the organization and represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills, mentoring skills, and an affinity for working with a team.
- 7-10 years of experience in relevant positions.
Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of a reference plan and deposits $1,500 annually into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%). The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
How to Apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization’s mission, how your background and experience make you a good fit for the role, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Tax Foundation seeks a Media Relations Manager to join our marketing team. We are a resource to journalists at top news outlets around the world, who recognize our reputation for providing timely, nonpartisan research. We have cultivated relationships with journalists at outlets like The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, papers of record in most states, and national and state broadcast producers, which has resulted in over 20,000 media citations and over 100 TV and radio appearances per year.
The successful candidate will take the lead in developing strategies to continue to grow our reach and reputation in the media, cultivate relationships with key journalists, collaborate closely with our policy experts to develop quotes, book interviews, craft op-eds, and have an intimate knowledge of the media and policy landscapes.
Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are essential. The right candidate must be entrepreneurial and believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of advancing pro-growth tax policies. The Media Relations Manager will report to our Marketing Director and will be located at our headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivate personal relationships with journalists through one-on-one meetings, briefings, and regular phone and email communications
- Develop creative strategies for communicating with journalists in addition to and beyond traditional news releases
- Coordinate interviews, develop quotes, and provide journalists with timely and accurate information
- Help craft and place op-eds and develop a long-term strategy for increasing our op-ed output and success rate
- Monitor the media and tax policy landscape at a state, national, and global level
- Help track media citations and develop regular impact reports for internal and donor audiences
- Collaborate with others in the organization to develop a cohesive messaging strategy
Ideal Skill Sets
- 3-5 years of experience in a media relations/outreach role
- Good knowledge of the policy landscape and the ability to communicate complex ideas to a lay audience
- Able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; and to represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with a team
Salary range is $65,000 to $80,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 federal holidays observed per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%).
Submit cover letter and résumé at taxfoundation.org/careers. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Tax Foundation seeks a Senior Policy Analyst to work on excise tax issues with our global, federal, and state policy teams. We currently produce reports relating to excise taxes and would like to increase the attention and impact of our work by adding a staffer dedicated to the topic. The successful candidate will be responsible for completing high-profile annual projects, developing projects that advance the effectiveness of our research agenda, and producing blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, and longer reports that advance principled excise tax policy. Tax Foundation experts regularly present our work in legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations in front of key stakeholders. Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are a must. The right candidate must also believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of pushing the tax reform debate toward smarter policies. The Senior Policy Analyst will report to our Executive Vice President and will be located in Washington, D.C.
Here are a few regular duties that can be expected:
- Be a face, voice, and leading contributor on excise taxes, maintaining a working knowledge of existing and proposed taxes on the sales of particular goods or services. Ability to navigate major data sources.
- Have the leadership and strategic vision to advance the organization’s excise tax policy goals, coordinating with our executive vice president and our global, federal, and state policy teams. Ability to identify new research opportunities.
- Assist in expanding the Tax Foundation’s presence with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through responses to inquiries and briefings.
- Research and write studies, reports, blog posts, and op-eds on state tax issues.
- Regular travel (1-2 trips per month), and frequency may increase with tenure.
Ideal Skill Sets
- Advanced experience or training in economics, public finance, public policy, political science, or government, with either knowledge of excise tax issues or demonstrated ability to become an expert.
- Experience managing projects, leading them from conception to completion under time and resource pressures.
- Able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; and to represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with a team.
Salary range is $75,000 to $95,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year plus winter holiday office closure, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%).
Submit cover letter and résumé at the link below. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Who We Are
We’re a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank founded in 1937 and located steps from the White House in Washington, D.C. We regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes and by focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation.
What We Do
We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
In 2017, our work was cited in 41,052 news articles, including the largest national outlets and the papers of record in all fifty states. We produced over 70 major reports and our website got a record 18.8 million views.
What We Offer
The Tax Foundation offers HSA-based health coverage (we cover an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposit the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, and life/AD&D/LTD insurance.
We understand that life is more than work. That’s why we take off 12 holidays per year, offer 15 vacation days per year, offer sick leave, and encourage leaving the office early on Fridays.
The Tax Foundation offers a 401(k) retirement plan, with a 100% match on your first 5% of contributions.
The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V.
We offer a unique internship program designed to introduce undergraduate and graduate students to tax policy principles, and apply them in assessing and advancing public policy. Working directly with our staff in various areas of tax policy, interns gain valuable professional experience and learn about all aspects of our operation.
As part of our Center for Legal Reform, the Tax Foundation hires law clerks each fall, spring, and summer. Supervised by our Tax Counsel, law clerk responsibilities include substantive research, authoring, and editing assistance in preparing amicus curiae briefs to appellate courts and special reports on important legal and economic issues relating to tax. Clerks have also authored pieces for publication.