What I’m Reading This Week
April 8, 2010
- Publicola compares beer consumption and beer tax rates. Higher taxes and lower consumption appear to be correlated.
- Former Tax Foundation expert Josh Barro writes in Real Clear Markets why film tax credits make even less sense today.
- The IRS Commissioner speaks on enforcing the health insurance mandate.
- The San Jose Mercury-News finds that California’s public pension plans are underfunded by $500 billion.
- Chicago Heights, Illinois is charging for city fire truck requests.
- Dan Mitchell of the Cato Institute debates Bill Turnier of the University of North Carolina on the VAT.
- Governor Bredesen of Tennessee has proposed taxes on “complimentary” hotel cable and breakfasts.
- The Streamlined Sales Tax folks are in town, so I want to re-post my commentary on the SSTP from last year.
- The Christian Science Monitor argues that a marijuana tax in California would be a bad way to raise revenue.