What I’m Reading This Week
April 8, 2010
- Publicola compares beer consumption and beer tax rates. Higher taxes and lower consumption appear to be correlated.
- Former Tax Foundation expert Josh Barro writes in Real Clear Markets why film tax credits make even less sense today.
- The IRS Commissioner speaks on enforcing the health insurance mandate.
- The San Jose Mercury-News finds that California’s public pension plans are underfunded by $500 billion.
- Chicago Heights, Illinois is charging for city fire truck requests.
- Dan Mitchell of the Cato Institute debates Bill Turnier of the University of North Carolina on the VAT.
- Governor Bredesen of Tennessee has proposed taxes on “complimentary” hotel cable and breakfasts.
- The Streamlined Sales Tax folks are in town, so I want to re-post my commentary on the SSTP from last year.
- The Christian Science Monitor argues that a marijuana tax in California would be a bad way to raise revenue.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback