Singles Are Now the Majority of Taxpayers
November 20, 2013
When we used to think of middle class families, we thought of married couples with children such as June and Ward Cleaver from Leave It to Beaver. Once upon a time, June and Ward represented most taxpayers, but demographic changes have made those notions obsolete. In 1960, more than 65 percent of taxpayers were married couples, while single filers comprised the remaining 35 percent. Those figures are now nearly reversed. Because the majority of taxpayers today are single filers, the typical taxpayer looks more like Phoebe and Joey from Friends. As a result, lawmakers’ efforts to use tax policy to help middle-income taxpayers are now missing their targets.
For more charts like the one below, see the second edition of our chart book, Putting a Face on America's Tax Returns.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback