Iowa Governor Calls for End to Film Tax Credit Program as Separate Trials Ordered

September 9, 2010

In the ongoing saga of Iowa’s criminal investigation of its film tax credit program, the judge has ordered three separate trials for the defendants:

“I think we have to do it. I think that’s the right approach,” Polk County District Judge Arthur Gamble said in granting defense motions to separate the trials for Wendy Weiner Runge, Matthias Alexander Saunders and Zachary LeBeau, three Minnesota residents each charged with one class B felony count of ongoing criminal conduct and 11 class C felony counts of first-degree fraudulent practices for allegedly making false and inflated claims for state tax credits involving multiple film projects.

Joe Kristan has more. As we wrote earlier this year:

The outside auditor’s report described a film office in chaos, with fragmentary records, no support staff, and almost no documentation to support the giveaway that could amount to $121 per Iowan. Credits were claimed for non-cash expenses such as “consideration” for having your name in the credits, and even for the costs of brokering the credits. They were also issued in advance of expenses. Strawman Iowa LLCs were used to claim credits for non-Iowa expenses.

The problems in Iowa’s tax credit program could easily be found in other states.

Governor Chet Culver now is calling for an end to the film tax credit program:

Governor Chet Culver says once the existing state commitments are met, the state tax credit program for film and TV productions in Iowa should be shut down.

“We’re not going to be taken for suckers,” Culver told reporters late this morning during a statehouse news conference. “People, unfortunately, exploited that program.”

The Iowa Motion Picture Association is calling for the program’s continuation.

Related posts:


Related Articles