Allowing State Bankruptcies, Medical Marijuana Tax Revenue, Estate Tax Murders
November 29, 2010
Interesting articles I came across today:
- Newly elected Republican governors meet to discuss budget cut strategies.
- Colorado raises $2.2 million with its sales tax on medical marijuana.
- Rhode Island Governor-elect Lincoln Chafee's plan to impose a 1% sales tax on currently exempt items would raise $121 million, much more than originally expected.
- Michael Barone at National Review (subscribe) argues that the federal bankruptcy code should be amended to allow states to reorganize their finances under its "cram-down" provisions.
- We're about a month away from the estate tax coming back to life, and the macabre incentive it gives to relatives of the dying.