New CBO Study Confirms Wealthiest Americans Bear Income Tax Burden
Fiscal Fact No. 13
In its new study of tax burdens, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) confirms what recent Tax Foundation research has shown: 40 percent of Americans pay no income tax.
With the bottom 40 percent paying no income tax, that leaves the top 60 percent to pay it all, and CBO data shows that the lion’s share is being paid by the top quintile. “Top quintile” is the CBO’s term for the top-earning 20 percent of the country—mostly dual-income couples and business owners.
Chart 1 below shows how the Bush tax cuts have pushed the second-lowest quintile into the negative range, meaning that when they file their tax returns, they don’t send a check, they receive a check (See also “Cautionary Notes for Comparing CBO’s Household Data to Standard Tax Data”). These “refund” checks return every dollar withheld during the year and more, mostly because of two tax provisions, one old and one new. The old one is the earned income tax credit, and the newer one is the child tax credit, first enacted in the late 1990s at $500 per child and now doubled by the Bush tax cut to $1,000 per child.
Chart 2 below shows how much more of the total income tax collections the top quintile is paying, and how much less everyone else is paying. In this chart, as in the first, the effect of the Bush tax cuts can best be described as a continuation of long-term trends.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback