Join one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation!
Be part of a talented and dynamic team passionate about working with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to improve lives through smarter tax policy.
Center for State Tax Policy
Tax Foundation seeks a VP or Director to lead our state policy team and be our lead spokesperson on state policy issues. The team produces numerous major annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on its research, and works with friends to promote smarter, pro-growth policy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the team; coordinating with other teams, especially our marketing team; setting direction for our state research, outreach, and fundraising; and engaging with policymakers, reporters, and other key audiences. Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are a must. The right candidate must also believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of pushing the tax reform debate toward smarter policies.
Since the VP/Director will spend a significant portion of time on the road, having an outgoing personality (high energy, extroverted) that lends itself to external outreach is critical. Also important will be strong interpersonal/management skills and the experience of effectively communicating up, down, and laterally. And while experience in policy is important, being an expert in tax policy is not necessary. The right candidate will be able to learn on the job.
The VP/Director will report to our President and Executive Vice President and will be located in Washington, D.C.
The VP or Director of State Projects candidate will:
- Provide overall leadership and strategic vision to the organization’s state tax policy efforts, including all state-focused research and education projects. Extensive travel (25%-50% depending on the month/project/etc.).
- Oversee the state policy team’s research agenda, including setting a publications schedule, project timelines, and guidelines. Balance engagement on issues of the day with long-term projects and build networks for future issue engagement. Serve as lead spokesperson on state policy.
- Cultivate relationships with key audiences, including state policymakers and their staff, reporters, allied groups, and interested stakeholders, to make Tax Foundation and its experts the go-to source on tax policy.
- Lead a fund-raising strategy for the state program, in concert with our development team, including coordinating working groups, briefings, and meetings. Manage the departmental budget, and monitor progress toward budgeted revenue goals.
- Lead a marketing strategy for the state program, reaching our key legislative, media, allies, donor, and grasstops audiences, particularly emphasizing readability, timeliness, and market penetration.
- Collaborate with marketing, development, and other teams to ensure cohesion in messages and priorities.
- Supervise and coach the members of the state policy team, playing an active and personal role in constructing a culture that cultivates high performance and high quality.
- Maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues and identify new research opportunities. Ability to navigate and utilize major data sources.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Passion for the Tax Foundation’s mission and principles and ensure Tax Foundation work comports with the credibility of the organization.
- Experience facilitating projects, leading them from conception to completion under time or resource pressure.
- Experience interacting with state or federal policymakers or government officials.
- Success securing financial support for programs or projects.
- Advanced experience or training in economics, public policy, or government.
- The ability to interface well with all departments of the organization and represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills, mentoring skills, and an affinity for working with a team.
- 7-10 years of experience in relevant positions.
Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of a reference plan and deposits $1,500 annually into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%). The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
How to Apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization’s mission, how your background and experience make you a good fit for the role, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Center for State Tax Policy
Tax Foundation seeks a Policy Analyst/Economist to join our state policy team. The state team produces two major annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country (over 30 states last year), and works with friends at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy. Our state team has received a number of awards for our influence on state policy.
The successful candidate will be responsible for completing high-profile annual projects, developing projects that advance the effectiveness of our research agenda, and producing blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, and longer reports that advance principled tax policy. Tax Foundation experts regularly present our work in legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations in front of key stakeholders. Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are a must. The right candidate must also believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of pushing the tax reform debate toward smarter policies. The Policy Analyst/Economist will report to our Director of State Projects and will be located in Washington, D.C. Title of the position will be based on qualifications and experience.
Here are a few regular duties that can be expected:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues, and identify new research opportunities. Ability to navigate and utilize major data sources (such as BEA and Census) is key.
- Research and write studies, reports, blog posts, and op-eds on state tax issues.
- Regular travel (1-2 trips per month) required, and frequency may increase with tenure.
- Assist in expanding the Tax Foundation’s presence with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through responses to inquiries and briefings.
- Experience or training in economics, public finance, public policy, political science, or government
- Able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; and to represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with a team
Salary range is $55,000 to $70,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%).
Submit cover letter and resume at the link below. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
We are seeking a hard-working, detail-oriented individual to serve as Office Manager and provide Executive Administrative support to our president, EVP, and VP of Development. We are looking for a self-starter who has an interest in working in the non-profit world, believes strongly in the Tax Foundation mission, and has the drive, attention to detail and skill set to help keep the organization running smoothly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as Executive Assistant to our President and Executive Vice President
- Provide support on an ad hoc basis to additional members senior staff
- Coordinate day-to-day calendar, complex scheduling, correspondence, travel and meeting requests
- Assist with report preparation, reimbursement processing, and budgets
- Establish and maintain a variety of complex files and records
- Prepare agendas, invoices, memos, letters, and other documents, and distributing when appropriate
- Attend and participate in meetings pertaining to assigned responsibilities
- Be available for after-hours support as needed
- Other duties as directed by the EVP
Qualifications & Requirements
- 7-10 years assisting c-suite executive level management.
- General office administration with progressing responsibilities.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills and good judgment.
- Solution-oriented with the ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple deadlines simultaneously.
- Able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; to handle confidential matters with discretion; and to interface well with all departments of the organization and represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Salary will be determined based off of qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF provides two-thirds of the premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 3%; 50% match on next 2%).
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements, to Amanda Davis, Human Resources Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter should demonstrate informed interest in our organization. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Who We Are
We’re a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank founded in 1937 and located steps from the White House in Washington, D.C. We regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes and by focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation.
What We Do
We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
In 2017, our work was cited in 41,052 news articles, including the largest national outlets and the papers of record in all fifty states. We produced over 70 major reports and our website got a record 18.8 million views.
What We Offer
The Tax Foundation offers HSA-based health coverage (we cover an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposit the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, and life/AD&D/LTD insurance.
We understand that life is more than work. That’s why we take off 12 holidays per year, offer 15 vacation days per year, offer sick leave, and encourage leaving the office early on Fridays.
The Tax Foundation offers a 401(k) retirement plan, with a 100% match on your first 5% of contributions.
The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V.
We offer a unique internship program designed to introduce undergraduate and graduate students to tax policy principles, and apply them in assessing and advancing public policy. Working directly with our staff in various areas of tax policy, interns gain valuable professional experience and learn about all aspects of our operation.
As part of our Center for Legal Reform, the Tax Foundation hires law clerks each fall, spring, and summer. Supervised by our Tax Counsel, law clerk responsibilities include substantive research, authoring, and editing assistance in preparing amicus curiae briefs to appellate courts and special reports on important legal and economic issues relating to tax. Clerks have also authored pieces for publication.