Join one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation!
Be part of a talented and dynamic team passionate about working with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to improve lives through smarter tax policy.
Tax Foundation seeks a Media Relations Manager to join our marketing team. We are a resource to journalists at top news outlets around the world, who recognize our reputation for providing timely, nonpartisan research. We have cultivated relationships with journalists at outlets like The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, papers of record in most states, and national and state broadcast producers, which has resulted in over 20,000 media citations and over 100 TV and radio appearances per year.
The successful candidate will take the lead in developing strategies to continue to grow our reach and reputation in the media, cultivate relationships with key journalists, collaborate closely with our policy experts to develop quotes, book interviews, craft op-eds, and have an intimate knowledge of the media and policy landscapes.
Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are essential. The right candidate must be entrepreneurial and believe strongly in the Tax Foundation mission of advancing pro-growth tax policies. The Media Relations Manager will report to our Marketing Director and will be located at our headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivate personal relationships with journalists through one-on-one meetings, briefings, and regular phone and email communications
- Develop creative strategies for communicating with journalists in addition to and beyond traditional news releases
- Coordinate interviews, develop quotes, and provide journalists with timely and accurate information
- Help craft and place op-eds and develop a long-term strategy for increasing our op-ed output and success rate
- Monitor the media and tax policy landscape at a state, national, and global level
- Help track media citations and develop regular impact reports for internal and donor audiences
- Collaborate with others in the organization to develop a cohesive messaging strategy
Ideal Skill Sets
- 3-5 years of experience in a media relations/outreach role
- Good knowledge of the policy landscape and the ability to communicate complex ideas to a lay audience
- Able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; and to represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with a team
Salary range is $65,000 to $80,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF covers an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 federal holidays observed per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 5%).
Submit cover letter and résumé at the link below. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Who We Are
We’re a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank founded in 1937 and located steps from the White House in Washington, D.C. We regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes and by focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation.
What We Do
We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
In 2017, our work was cited in 41,052 news articles, including the largest national outlets and the papers of record in all fifty states. We produced over 70 major reports and our website got a record 18.8 million views.
What We Offer
The Tax Foundation offers HSA-based health coverage (we cover an amount equivalent to three-quarters of the silver-level premium and deposit the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, and life/AD&D/LTD insurance.
We understand that life is more than work. That’s why we take off 12 holidays per year, offer 15 vacation days per year, offer sick leave, and encourage leaving the office early on Fridays.
The Tax Foundation offers a 401(k) retirement plan, with a 100% match on your first 5% of contributions.
The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V.
We offer a unique internship program designed to introduce undergraduate and graduate students to tax policy principles, and apply them in assessing and advancing public policy. Working directly with our staff in various areas of tax policy, interns gain valuable professional experience and learn about all aspects of our operation.
As part of our Center for Legal Reform, the Tax Foundation hires law clerks each fall, spring, and summer. Supervised by our Tax Counsel, law clerk responsibilities include substantive research, authoring, and editing assistance in preparing amicus curiae briefs to appellate courts and special reports on important legal and economic issues relating to tax. Clerks have also authored pieces for publication.