About the Conformity Working Group
2018 brought us a new year and a new federal tax code. After 31 years since the last major tax overhaul, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act comprehensively reformed the federal tax system, which, in turn, impacts state tax codes.
Now, the focus on tax reform shifts from Washington, D.C., to all fifty states, raising the question: How will states conform to the new federal tax code?
The Tax Foundation’s Conformity Working Group provides an intimate setting for business and tax policy leaders to strategize about the best ways to engage in this debate and ensure a smooth transition in the states.
How We’re Leading the Charge
The Tax Foundation is the only Washington-based organization with the expertise and the credibility with state lawmakers, the business community, and free-market think tanks to help states navigate the complex issue of tax conformity.
We engaged in more than 35 states last year, interacting with key stakeholders who are responsible for deciding tax policy.
In 2019, we’re relaunching our large-scale campaign to educate state legislators on how and why they should conform to the federal tax code, while capitalizing on the opportunities federal reform can bring to make state tax codes more competitive.
In order for this effort to be successful, we need your help.
How Can I Get Involved?
If you’re interested in working more closely with Tax Foundation experts to:
- Provide insight or learn how tax conformity will impact your industry and company
- Strategize on the best practices to engage in the tax conformity debate at the state level
- Support our upcoming research and analysis on tax conformity
- Connect with more key state legislators and staff on this issue
- Better educate and respond to journalists in today’s fast-paced media environment
- Engage more in the ongoing online debate and on social media
Then click the link below to sign up for our Conformity Working Group.