Monday Map: Growth of High Income Taxpayers
August 22, 2011
This map shows percentage growth of taxpayers earning over $200,000, minus the percentage growth of all taxpayers, over the decade-long period from 1999 to 2009. The $200,000 threshold is in nominal dollars, so all states will have had considerable growth, but the differences between the states demonstrate that certain states have had much stronger increases in wealthy taxpayers than others. North Dakota takes the top spot—returns with AGI over $200,000 increased 144.53%, while all returns increased only 7.1%—a considerable difference of 137.4%. Michigan is last—returns over $200,000 increased only 17.6%, while total returns actually decreased by 0.5%, for a final difference of 18.1%.
To see the raw data, visit this page.
Click on the map to enlarge it.
For previous Monday maps, click here.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback