States impose a wide range of taxes, and the ones that most capture our attention aren’t always the largest sources of revenue. Considering the states in aggregate, the largest source of state and local tax collections...
- The Tax Policy Blog
- Facts & Figures 2014: How Does Your State Compare?
Facts & Figures 2014: How Does Your State Compare?
Today we released the 2014 edition of Facts & Figures: How Does Your State Compare? Just in time for Tax Season, the latest edition of this popular pocket-sized handbook contains the rates and rankings of all 50 states on 39 different measures of tax and fiscal policy (topics listed below).
The topics in this year’s edition include:
Taxes and Tax Measures
- Tax Freedom Day by State
- State-Local Tax Burden
- State Business Tax Climate Index
- State Tax Collections Per Capita
- State Revenue Per Capita
- State and Local Tax Collections Per Capita
- State and Local Revenue Per Capita
- Sources of State and Local Tax Collections
- Federal Aid as a Percentage of State Revenue
- Federal Income Tax Payments by Income Percentile
- Selected Federal Tax Rates
Individual Income Taxes
- State Individual Income Tax Rates
- State Individual Income Tax Collections Per Capita
- State and Local Individual Income Tax Collections Per Capita
Corporate Income Taxes
- State Corporate Income Tax Rates
- State Corporate Income Tax Collections Per Capita
- State and Local Corporate Income Tax Collections Per Capita
- State Gross Receipts Taxes
General Sales Taxes
- State and Local Sales Tax Rates
- State General Sales Tax Collections Per Capita
- State and Local Sales Tax Collections Per Capita
- State Gasoline Tax Rates
- Share of State & Local Road Spending Covered by State & Local Tolls, User Fees, & User Taxes
- State Cigarette Excise Tax Rates
- State Spirits Excise Tax Rates
- State Wine Excise Tax Rates
- State Beer Excise Tax Rates
- State and Local Cell Phone Tax Rates
- Sales Tax Treatment of Groceries, Candy, and Soda
- State and Local Excise Collections Per Capita
- Mean Property Taxes as a Percentage of Owner-Occupied Housing Value
- State and Local Property Tax Collections Per Capita
- Capital Stock Tax Rates
Estate and Inheritance Taxes
- Estate Tax Rates and Exemptions
- Inheritance Tax Rates and Exemptions
- State Debt Per Capita
- State and Local Debt Per Capita
- Income Per Capita by State
- People Per Household by State
Complimentary print copies are being mailed to state officials and Tax Foundation supporters, with additional print copies available for purchase online here.
Get Email Updates from the Tax Foundation
We will never sell or share your information with third parties.
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
About the Tax Policy Blog
The Tax Policy Blog is the official blog of the Tax Foundation, a non-partisan, non-profit research organization that has monitored tax policy at the federal, state and local levels since 1937. Our economists welcome your feedback. If you would like to send an e-mail to the author of a blog post, please click on that person's name to locate his or her e-mail address or visit our staff page here.