Old McDonald Pays a Tax, If He Wins in Court (a Gun Tax, That Is)

March 05, 2010

With all the news stories about gun rights -- the court battle between the City of Chicago and Otis McDonald and the carry-in service at Starbucks -- here's a reminder of how guns are taxed. The standard taxes on pistols, revolvers, etc. are collected at the distributor level. Each gun carries either a 10% or 11% tax, administered by the Tax and Trade Bureau at the Treasury Department.

The IRS reports collections of $312 million during fiscal year 2008 (10/1/07 - 9/30/08) on line 152, column V of this spreadsheet.

NFA transfer taxes (paid by the individual when he acquires a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, etc.) are administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. That payment is generally $200 plus some administrative rigamarole that enables local officials to delay and track transfers. See pp. 185-190 of the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide.

Tax Topic 

Get Email Updates from the Tax Foundation

We will never sell or share your information with third parties.

Follow Us

About the Tax Policy Blog

Subscribe to Tax Foundation - Tax Foundation's Tax Policy Blog The Tax Policy Blog is the official blog of the Tax Foundation, a non-partisan, non-profit research organization that has monitored tax policy at the federal, state and local levels since 1937. Our economists welcome your feedback. If you would like to send an e-mail to the author of a blog post, please click on that person's name to locate his or her e-mail address or visit our staff page here.

Monthly Archive