The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has released its 2015 to 2025 Budget and Economic Outlook. In this yearly publication, the CBO examines current laws (taxes and spending) and projects the outlook for the federal...
Job Opportunities at the Tax Foundation
We’re a 78-year-old nonpartisan, non-profit think tank located steps away from the White House in Washington, DC. Our staff brings a balance of time-earned experience and youthful ambition to the table and we regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes. By focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as the most effective tax policy think tank in the nation.
We just moved into a new, custom built office with collaborative spaces that allow our staff to work together in a variety of settings. We want to facilitate a work environment that allows you to work the way you work best. Whether it’s providing cutting edge technology to our staff, allowing our staff to take risks and try creative new solutions, or organizing a lunch at a great restaurant during Restaurant week, our management works hard to make the Tax Foundation environment an example of what working in DC should be.
Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF provides two-thirds of the premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 3%; 50% match on next 2%). The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V.
The main task of the Tax Foundation Editor is to make sure our team members’ work is accurate, persuasive, tone-consistent, and ready to publish in a timely fashion. Our editor also works with our economists and policy analysts to improve their writing skills. This role is suited for a self-starter who can thrive in a fast-paced environment (>80 publications per year to a variety of audiences), has an interest in working in the non-profit world, and believes strongly in the Tax Foundation mission. Here are a few regular duties that can be expected:
- Copyediting and Proofreading (75%)
- Edit and proof copy written by TF staff and TF interns, teaching best writing and style practices.
- Ensure all copy meets standards and guidelines, including accuracy, relevance, citation formatting, proper spelling and grammar, and TF internal style and tone. Monitor writing trends and best practices and teach them to staff and interns.
- Coordinate with teams on publications’ deadline progress and release timelines.
- Monitor and moderate content posted on our blog.
- Assist in copyediting and proofing content for our grants submissions.
- Marketing & Process Responsibilities (25%)
- Respond to reprint and copyright permission requests.
- Monitor our physical and digital publications inventory proactively on an ongoing basis.
- Manage relationship with outside print and distribution vendors.
- Participate as a member of our marketing team, discussing new media techniques and best practices to enhance our digital and print marketing presence.
Ideal Skill Sets
We are open both to veteran editors as well as to less-experienced but enterprising individuals who can demonstrate a capability to take on this role.
- Degree in English, Communications, or Law –or- equivalent work experience with an emphasis in editing and proofreading. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary. Familiarity with Bluebook style and AP style are pluses.
- Able to organize, manage time, and work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment while maintaining quality, clarity, and creativity. Solution-oriented, detail-oriented, and good judgment.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly editing and track changes functions.
Benefits Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF provides two-thirds of the premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 3%; 50% match on next 2%).
Applying Submit cover letter, resume, and salary history and requirements, to Mr. Joseph Henchman, VP Operations, Tax Foundation, at email@example.com. The cover letter should demonstrate informed interest in our organization. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go