At one point during last night’s Democratic debate, Hillary Clinton argued that Bernie Sanders has overestimated the benefits and underestimated the costs of his Medicare-for-all plan on the average American household....
Job Opportunities at the Tax Foundation
We’re a 78-year-old nonpartisan, non-profit think tank located steps away from the White House in Washington, DC. Our staff brings a balance of time-earned experience and youthful ambition to the table and we regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes. By focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as the most effective tax policy think tank in the nation.
We just moved into a new, custom built office with collaborative spaces that allow our staff to work together in a variety of settings. We facilitate a work environment that allows you to work the way you work best. Whether it’s providing cutting edge technology to our staff or allowing our staff to take risks and try creative new solutions, our management works hard to make the Tax Foundation an example of what working in DC should be.
Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF provides two-thirds of the premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 3%; 50% match on next 2%). The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V.
We are looking to expand our four-person state team. The state team produces four major annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country (35 states so far this year), and works with friends at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy. Our organization and experts are cited by the media over 10,000 times annually. Our state team has received a number of awards for our influence on state policy and is a finalist this year for the prestigious Templeton Freedom Prize.
The successful candidate will be responsible for completing high-profile annual projects, developing new projects that advance the effectiveness of our research agenda, and producing blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, and longer reports that advance principled tax policy. Tax Foundation experts regularly represent our work in legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations in front of key stakeholders. Good speaking, good writing, and good attitude are a must. Travel is required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have passion for the Tax Foundation’s mission and principles;
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and enjoy working with a team;
- Have past experience or training in economics, public finance, public policy, political science, or government;
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues, and identify new research opportunities. She or he will contribute substantively and regularly to our Tax Policy Blog;
- Research and write studies, reports, and op-eds on state tax issues. Ability to navigate and utilize major data sources (such as BEA and Census) are a plus;
- Be able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion; to work under pressure; and to interface well with all departments of the organization and represent Tax Foundation in a highly professional manner;
- Assist in expanding the Tax Foundation’s presence with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders, through responses to inquiries and briefings to key stakeholders.
Benefits Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage (TF provides two-thirds of the premium and deposits the amount of the deductible into the HSA), dental and vision coverage, life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 12 holidays per year, 15 vacation days per year, sick leave, early release on Fridays, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan (100% match on first 3%; 50% match on next 2%).
Applying Submit the following to Mr. Joseph Henchman, VP Operations, Tax Foundation, at email@example.com: (1) cover letter demonstrating informed interest in our organization; (2) resume; (3) salary history and requirements. No phone calls please. The position is open until filled. The Tax Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go