Top 10 Tax Stories of the Decade
December 30, 2009
The Tax Foundation staff has ranked the top 10 tax stories of the past decade as part of a commentary that takes a look back at a 10-year period that started with a disputed election that eventually gave us large tax cuts to the end of that 10-year period with the nation on the verge of significant new tax increases as part of health care reform…and everything in between.
So what stories made the list and in what order?
1. The Bush Tax Cuts
2. The Alternative Minimum Tax
3. The IRS, Rebate Checks, and Fiscal Stimulus
4. Influence of the Housing Lobby on the Federal Tax Code
5. Emergence of Environmental Taxation as Key Policy Issue
6. Health Care and Tax Reform
7. Growth of Tax Competition (Good and Bad)
8. Rising Popularity of Nanny Tax Policies
9. The Tax Gap
10. California’s Decade of Fiscal Decay
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback