Note: This is an archived job description. For the latest job opportunities at the Tax Foundation, click here.
The Tax Foundation, the oldest tax and fiscal policy research organization in Washington, is seeking a highly motivated person for the position of Tax Economist. The position requires a BA or MA in economics with a background in public finance. The ideal candidate would have knowledge of state tax systems, experience working with large databases, and familiarity with modeling. Candidates must possess strong writing and oral communication skills. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Tax Economist is responsible for researching and writing studies, reports, and op-eds on current tax and spending issues at the state or local level. The position requires developing entrepreneurial projects that advance the reach and effectiveness of the Tax Foundation’s research agenda. The successful candidate will also respond to public and media inquiries and provide research support for senior economists and adjunct scholars.
- Researching and writing various studies, reports and op-eds on current tax and spending issues.
- Maintaining knowledge of current tax policy and economic issues, and identifying research opportunities to advance the Tax Foundation’s state tax policy agenda.
- Collaborating with fellow economists to develop research ideas into marketable research products, including brainstorming, developing themes and positioning.
- Developing entrepreneurial projects that help expand the reach and effectiveness of the Tax Foundation’s policy research, including research products, events, meetings, and other outreach activities.
- Briefing state lawmakers on sound tax policy and testifying before relevant legislative committees.
- Fielding inquiries from the media, and conducting radio and TV interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tax Economist position” as the subject line. Emails only. No phone calls.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback