Iowa Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Taxes & the Economy
Individual images from the chartbook are available here.
Our new book Iowa Illustrated: A Visual Guide to Taxes & the Economy shows why tax reform should be on the minds of Iowan policymakers and taxpayers. Featuring in-depth research and analysis from the nonpartisan Tax Foundation, and commissioned by the Future of Iowa Foundation, Iowa Illustrated provides reporters, legislators, and taxpayers with an in-depth look at the make-up of Iowa’s tax code and its growing economy.
Here are just a few examples of the more than 30 key findings:
- Iowa relies on federal funding for one-third of its budget
- Iowa’s sales tax rate has tripled since its creation
- Iowa’s business taxes rank poorly nationally, and are uncompetitive regionally
- Iowa has had a net loss of 63,287 people over the last 20 years
- Effective tax rates in Iowa vary widely across different industries.
By offering a broader perspective of Iowa’s taxes and illustrating some of the lesser-known aspects of Iowa’s business environment, this guide provides the necessary facts for having an honest debate about how to improve the structure of The Hawkeye State’s tax system.
Print copies can be purchased from our online store.