News Roundup: Search Federal Spending, AMT Vote, Tax Swaps, Beer Tax
December 14, 2007
- USASpending.org—the federal government’s new searchable database providing information about all federal grant and contract spending above $25,000—is launched. This year’s Coburn-Obama Act required the creation of the database.
- House of Representatives votes 226-193 to pass a one-year revenue-neutral AMT patch, which would increase taxes in other areas. White House issues a veto threat.
- Oregon Supreme Court orders that the official summary of a proposed referendum that would require voter approval for tax increases is misleading and must be rewritten. Wolf v. Myers.
- The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy reviews recent efforts to reduce reliance on local property taxes for school funding and cautions against swapping property taxes for greater reliance on state funding or sales taxes.
- Wyoming proposes raising the beer tax from 2 cents per liter to 6.5 cents per liter, with the money funding substance abuse programs.
Was this page helpful to you?
The Tax Foundation works hard to provide insightful tax policy analysis. Our work depends on support from members of the public like you. Would you consider contributing to our work?Contribute to the Tax Foundation
Let us know how we can better serve you!
We work hard to make our analysis as useful as possible. Would you consider telling us more about how we can do better?Give Us Feedback