The Tax Foundation seeks a State Tax Policy Analyst to join our state policy team. The state team produces several annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country, educates the public through regular media appearances, and works with lawmakers and policy organizations at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy.
This position will be responsible for assisting with high-profile annual projects. They will also produce blog posts and collaborate on longer reports that advance principled tax policy. In addition to broader research obligations, each analyst on the state policy team takes “ownership” of legislative and other stakeholder relationships in a set of states, which will provide opportunities for legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations.
The State Tax Policy Analyst reports to the Vice President of State Projects and can work from Tax Foundation’s Washington, D.C. office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues, and identify new research opportunities
- Conduct research and collect data for signature Tax Foundation publications
- Oversee Tax Foundation legislative and policy engagement in a given set of states
- Research and author or co-author studies, reports, blog posts, and other materials on state tax issues
- Expand the Tax Foundation’s profile with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through media appearances, responses to inquiries, and presentations/briefings
Qualifications and Skills
- 2-5 years of experience
- Undergraduate degree in economics, public policy, political science, or related field preferred but not required
- Experience researching and writing about tax/public finance policy preferred but not required
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Alignment with and interest in Tax Foundation’s mission
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team, often on tight deadlines
- Occasional travel required, and frequency may increase with tenure (Approximate travel: 5-10%)
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your interest in this position, Tax Foundation’s work, and your salary requirements
Questions can be directed to Bailey Drouant, Outreach Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: Bailey@talentmarket.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.