The Tax Foundation seeks a Senior Tax Policy Analyst to join our state policy team. The state team produces several annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country, educates the public through regular media appearances, and works with lawmakers and policy organizations at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy.
A successful candidate will be responsible for completing high-profile annual projects, developing projects that advance the effectiveness of our research agenda, and producing blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, and longer reports that advance principled tax policy, in addition to legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations before key stakeholders. In addition to broader research obligations, each analyst on the state policy team takes “ownership” of legislative and other stakeholder relationships in a set of states.
The Senior Tax Policy Analyst reports to the Vice President of State Projects and can work from Tax Foundation’s Washington, D.C. office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues
- Identify new research opportunities
- Oversee Tax Foundation legislative and policy engagement in a given set of states
- Research and write studies, reports, blog posts, and op-eds on state tax issues
- Expand the Tax Foundation’s profile with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through media appearances, responses to inquiries, and presentations/briefings
Qualifications & Requirements
- 5+ years of experience in economics, public finance, public policy, political science, or government
- Advanced degree in economics, public policy, political science, or related field preferred but not required
- Experience researching and writing about tax/public finance policy preferred but not required
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team, often on tight deadlines
- Regular travel required (1-2 trips per month) during peak seasons, and frequency may increase with tenure
Why Work at Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on the first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position, alignment with the mission of the Tax Foundation, and salary requirements
- A writing sample no more than 5 pages in length; samples relevant to Tax Foundation are preferred, any writing samples are acceptable
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Outreach at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Highlights of Our Benefits
- HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions
- 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on first 5%
- 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance
- 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave
- Office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day annually
- Casual and early-release Fridays all year round
- Work-from-home option Mondays and Fridays for employees in the D.C. headquarters area.
Who We Are
We’re a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank founded in 1937 and located steps from the White House in Washington, D.C. We regularly work with policymakers on both sides of the aisle to help fix problems in national and state tax codes and by focusing on effective policies instead of politics, we have curated a reputation as one of the most effective policy think tanks in the nation.
What We Do
We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
Our work is cited in over 20,000 news articles each year, including the largest national outlets and the papers of record in all 50 states. We produce over 70 major publications every year and our website is viewed over 1.5 million times per month.
“Working at Tax Foundation has helped me to grow personally, professionally, and intellectually, while contributing to work that I truly believe in. I am incredibly happy to have landed here and look forward to continuing to be a part of Tax Foundation’s growth and success.” – Zoe Callaway, Manager of Education and Outreach
The Tax Foundation is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. As part of this commitment, the Tax Foundation will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.