The car tax has been in the news recently in Connecticut and Virginia, the only two states that levy it. It’s important to distinguish this tax, which is a property tax on actual cars, from a sales tax that affects the...
- The Tax Policy Blog
- Event: States Tax Reform, the Affordable Care Act, and Sequestration
Event: States Tax Reform, the Affordable Care Act, and Sequestration
I'll be appearing on a panel at the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center this afternoon covering everything relating to state taxes: the role of states in the economy recovery, state tax reform, public employee pensions, the impact of sequestration, and implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
Given the lineup of the panel, I'll have my work cut out for me defending the idea that tax systems should be simple, neutral, and focus on economic growth rather than trying to reward and punish different people.
- Teresa Coughlin, Senior Fellow, Urban Institute
- Ben Harris, Senior Research Associate, Urban Institute
- Joseph Henchman, Vice President of Legal & State Projects, Tax Foundation
- Nick Johnson, Vice President for State Fiscal Policy, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Zach Goldfarb, staff writer, Washington Post, moderator
Buy this blogger a cup of coffee!
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
About the Tax Policy Blog
The Tax Policy Blog is the official weblog of the Tax Foundation, a non-partisan, non-profit research organization that has monitored tax policy at the federal, state and local levels since 1937. Our economists welcome your feedback. If you would like to send an e-mail to the author of a blog post, please click on that person's name to locate his or her e-mail address or visit our staff page here.