Matt Yglesias at Vox today argues that migration out of “blue states” is caused by high housing prices, not taxes, and high housing prices are essentially a function of bad zoning laws in “blue” cities. Yglesias...
- Tax Freedom Day: A Description of Its Calculation and Ans...
Tax Freedom Day: A Description of Its Calculation and Answers to Some Methodological Questions
Working Paper No. 3
Tax Freedom Day is calculated by taking taxes paid in the current year divided by the nation's income for that year, which is derived from BEA statistics, and then projected by Tax Foundation economists using economic and budget projections from various sources, most notably the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). This paper contains an overview of the methodology that goes into calculating the nation's Tax Freedom Day.
This paper also addresses some methodological concerns, including those that have been made in the past, and some still to this day, by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP). Each year, the CBPP releases a criticism of the Tax Foundation's annual calculation of Tax Freedom Day. Their criticisms of Tax Freedom Day have varied over the years but typically center on essentially one main criticism. They object to Tax Freedom Day to describe the tax burden of the nation as a whole, because it may over- or understate the tax burden faced by particular taxpayers.
- The United States has the third highest general top marginal corporate income tax rate in the world at 39.1 percent, exceeded only by Chad and the United Arab Emirates.
- The worldwide average top corporate...
- IRS income data is collected in order to raise revenue as directed by Congress, which means it is not necessarily well-suited for other purposes, like measuring equality in our society.
- The average taxpayer’s...
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask