As the tax reform debate begins to heat up, businesses and investors are beginning to pay closer attention to the House GOP Tax Reform Blueprint, a tax plan released last June by Speaker Paul Ryan and House Ways and...
- Sacramento Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on Cali...
Sacramento Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on California's tax climate
- Melissa Wiese
- Web Editor- Sacramento Business Journal
It’s no surprise that California ranks near the bottom of an index that rates states for business tax climates.
The Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan organization that monitors tax policy, released its 2013 State Business Tax Climate Index, rating California at No. 48.
The Golden State’s rank remains unchanged from the 2012 rating.
The index considers corporate taxes, individual income taxes, sales taxes, unemployment insurance taxes, property taxes and policies, among other things, and then looks at other states.
Wyoming ranked No. 1 on the list, followed by South Dakota and Nevada. Rounding out the lower ranks were New York and New Jersey.
“Even in our global economy, a state’s strongest and most immediate competition often comes from other states,” Tax Foundation economist Scott Drenkard said in a news release. “State lawmakers need to be aware of how their states’ business climates match up to their immediate neighbors and to other states in their region.”
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Related State Articles
- Lunch Links: Mnuchin Promises Tax Reform within First 90 Days of Trump Administration; Chopping Itemized Deductions Not Panacea in Trump Tax Plan; Massachusetts Latest State to Consider Soda Tax
- Lunch Links: Not So Sweet Soda Taxes Have Multi-City Appeal; Trump Includes Tax Reform in Efforts to Keep Carrier from Bolting; Christie Cites 'Blood Money' Tax Revenue in Shunning Marijuana Legalization for N.J.
- Lunch links: Mileage Vs. Gas Tax Experiment Begins in Colorado; Recounts Coming in Maine on Marijuana and Income Tax; Rhode Island Considers Catching Up with Neighbor States on Marijuana Legalization
- 1 of 111
- next ›
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask