A new paper on wealth inequality from economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman – who have written frequently on the subject – was released earlier this month. This paper is far better than previous attempts to measure...
- Orange County Register quotes Scott Drenkard on local sal...
Orange County Register quotes Scott Drenkard on local sales taxes
California has highest sales tax in the U.S.
By JAN NORMAN / ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
Even though California's statewide sales tax declined in June with the expiration of a temporary 1% tax, the Golden State still has the highest statewide sales tax in the country at 7.25%, according to data from the Tax Foundation, a Washington D.C. nonpartisan fiscal research group that favors low taxes. When combined with locally imposed sales taxes averaging 0.86%, California drops to 12th in combined sales tax that consumers pay on most purchases.
"While state sales taxes are generally easier to understand than the federal income tax system, the existence of thousands of local jurisdictions that set their own rates can lead to confusion," said Tax Foundation economist Scott Drenkard. "States with a moderate statewide rate can end up with an extremely high burden when local rates are added to the total."
- Americans pay an average of 17.05 percent in combined federal, state, and local tax and fees on wireless service. This is comprised of a 5.82 percent federal rate and an average 11.23 percent state-local tax rate....
- 45 states collect statewide sales taxes.
- 38 states collect local sales taxes.
- The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45...
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask