India’s finance minister this week released a budget that includes, among other things, a five per cent reduction in the corporate income tax. Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India, won a landslide election last May...
- Memphis Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on Tenness...
Memphis Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on Tennessee's tax climate
October 09, 2012
- Jane Donahoe
- Web and sections editor- Memphis Business Journal
- The Volunteer State ranks 14th on the Tax Foundation’s annual State Business Tax Climate Index.
- The index compares states in five areas of taxation that impact business: corporate taxes; individual income taxes; sales taxes; unemployment insurance taxes; and taxes on property, including residential and commercial property.
- Tennessee was boosted by both high scores in the corporate tax rank (eighth) and individual income tax rank (13th). Tennessee’s lack of a wages and salary tax clearly bolsters its position on the list. However its sales tax ranking, at 43rd, and its 48th-place finish in property tax brought the overall ranking a bit lower.
- Mississippi ranks 17th overall on the Tax Foundation’s 2012 index while Arkansas ranked 31st.
- “Even in our global economy, a state’s strongest and most immediate competition often comes from other states,” said Tax Foundation economist Scott Drenkard in a statement. “State lawmakers need to be aware of how their states’ business climates match up to their immediate neighbors and to other states in their region.”
- New Jersey was ranked the worst, while Wyoming was ranked the best.
- Click here for the full report.
Suggestions for Improvement in the Ohio FY 2016-17 Budget Scott Drenkard Economist & Manager of State Projects, Tax Foundation Committee on Ways & Means, Ohio House of Representatives March 4, 2015 Chairman McClain, Vice-...
Key Findings With his newly released tax reform proposal, Governor Paul LePage becomes the first governor to propose substantive tax reform in 2015. The plan would result in a tax cut of $267 million per year as of FY 2019, with the plan fully...
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask