Michigan has been tangled up in a transportation funding back-and-forth for the last year or so. The most recent episode was a May ballot initiative to raise sales and gas taxes that failed 80-20. As of yesterday, news...
- Memphis Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on Tenness...
Memphis Business Journal quotes Scott Drenkard on Tennessee's tax climate
October 09, 2012
- Jane Donahoe
- Web and sections editor- Memphis Business Journal
- The Volunteer State ranks 14th on the Tax Foundation’s annual State Business Tax Climate Index.
- The index compares states in five areas of taxation that impact business: corporate taxes; individual income taxes; sales taxes; unemployment insurance taxes; and taxes on property, including residential and commercial property.
- Tennessee was boosted by both high scores in the corporate tax rank (eighth) and individual income tax rank (13th). Tennessee’s lack of a wages and salary tax clearly bolsters its position on the list. However its sales tax ranking, at 43rd, and its 48th-place finish in property tax brought the overall ranking a bit lower.
- Mississippi ranks 17th overall on the Tax Foundation’s 2012 index while Arkansas ranked 31st.
- “Even in our global economy, a state’s strongest and most immediate competition often comes from other states,” said Tax Foundation economist Scott Drenkard in a statement. “State lawmakers need to be aware of how their states’ business climates match up to their immediate neighbors and to other states in their region.”
- New Jersey was ranked the worst, while Wyoming was ranked the best.
- Click here for the full report.
Executive Summary In 2013, North Carolina policymakers accomplished fundamental tax reform, implementing overhauls in multiple areas of the tax code. The multi-bracket individual income tax that topped out at 7.75 percent was replaced with a flat 5...
How do taxes in your state compare nationally? This convenient pocket-size booklet compares the 50 states on many different measures of taxing and spending, including individual and corporate income tax rates, business tax climates, excise taxes,...
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask