A new paper on wealth inequality from economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman – who have written frequently on the subject – was released earlier this month. This paper is far better than previous attempts to measure...
- The Hill quotes Scott Drenkard on local sales tax rates
The Hill quotes Scott Drenkard on local sales tax rates
Alabama cities rank high on sales tax
By Bernie Becker - 04/11/12
The Tax Foundation also stressed that sales tax should be looked at within the broader context of the overall tax structure, in the process comparing Portland’s low sales tax rate with Seattle’s 9.5 percent rate.
"Washington state has high sales taxes but no income tax while Oregon has no sales tax but high income taxes," Scott Drenkard, an economist with the foundation, said in a statement. "Many factors influence business location and investment decisions, but sales taxes are something within policymakers’ control that can have immediate impacts."
- Americans pay an average of 17.05 percent in combined federal, state, and local tax and fees on wireless service. This is comprised of a 5.82 percent federal rate and an average 11.23 percent state-local tax rate....
- 45 states collect statewide sales taxes.
- 38 states collect local sales taxes.
- The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45...
Join the Tax Foundation's fight for sound tax policy Go
Tax Policy Blog
The official weblog of the Tax Foundation.
Tax By State
For information on your state, select it from the drop-down menu.
Ask a Tax Expert
Contact information for Tax Foundation policy staff Ask